Old February 4th 21, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

Default What is involved regulation wise adding an electric motor to a glider?

On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 10:51:36 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Talk about hijacking...

I've had my Harley Davidson Wide Glide for almost 17 years and 137,000
miles and don't ride it too much any more though I did get it out a
couple of days ago when the temperature got up to 60 deg. Just
wondering what you did to mothball it. I've never done more than to put
on a battery charger now and then.

Dan
5J
On 2/3/21 9:36 PM, Wallace Berry wrote:
but still have that bike (mothballed since 1981).

Drained the transmission case and replaced with fresh oil. Drained the fuel tank, lines, carbs. Flushed everything with clean fuel and stabilizer, then drained again and let dry before reassembly. Drained the forks and replaced the fork fluid. Drained the front brake hydraulics. Fogged the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil and turned them over a few times. Threw the battery away. Heavily Armor All'ed the exterior rubber and vinyl. Probably should have used products expressly made to pickle engines, but I didn't know I was going to keep the bike stored for 40 years. Front fork wipers, brake lines, and tires have deteriorated. Everything else seems OK. RD 350's were still being made (in India) up into the late 1990's or early 2000's so parts are still available. Hoping to do a complete restoration as a retirement project, but I don't plan on taking up riding scooters again. Old bones and all...