Old August 13th 05, 01:32 AM
JJS

If the coupling does not cock-and-fire, you are trying to start your
engine with standard timing (advanced 20-25 degrees BTDC). If the flat
spring breaks, you have retarded "start" timing in flight-that is not
a good thing. As another poster mentioned, the riveted assembly can
come apart-that is not a good thing either.

It's your airplane, you decide what you want to do.

snip

Industrial Plating Co. Inc.
1300 Clydesdale Avenue
P.O. Drawer 2365
Anniston, AL 36201
800-525-6408
Fax 256-237-1579

FAA Repair Station # IPBR525K

Can anyone who has had this done in the not to distant past recommend additional business possibilities and perhaps
relate a cost to do it?

Yes-it is much cheaper than purchasing a new strut, but it is not
inexpensive. It is the only facility that I am aware of that has the
capabilities (and the approval) to grind and hard-chrome aircraft
struts.

It will come back looking like brand-new.

Regards;

TC

TC, Thanks. I was hoping you'd comment. I called my A&P IA today and visited with him. We will pull the mag and
inspect the coupling closely. All of the mag AD's have been been complied with all along since I've owned the
airplane. I appreciate the comments on the repair station as well.