Old April 22nd 13, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default C-172 as tow plane?

On Monday, April 22, 2013 12:23:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I asked why we didn't have an L-19, and was told that its narrow gear makes it

trickier to handle on the ground. The first operation had to be very picky

about who would tow as a result.

L-19 loves to bounce, is a bit squirrely on pavement and the transition between enough directional control to "oh, ****!" with a gust from behind is pretty thin. It's also a blast to fly, so maybe the other tow pilot just liked to fly :-).

T8