Old January 30th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default JRC JHP500 handheld transceiver

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 00:24:34 +0000, john smith wrote:

I also have the same unit. Is there any reasonable way to replace the
original rechargable battery?

If it is a detachable battery pack, there are several suppliers that can
swap the old pack for a new. I replaced a NiCd pack for a NiMH on an
ICOM.

Be careful when switching to alternate battery technologies. NiCads are
designed to be charged at rates up to 3C while most NiMH are
typically designed to be charged no faster than 1 to 1.2C. As a rule of
thumb, NiCads charge FAST while NiMH charge slow but have much
larger capacities. Another important distinction between the two battery
types, when peak charging, each battery type indicates "full" differently.
Long of the short, if you change battery technologies, make sure you
change chargers too! Otherwise, you may be in for a surprise including
very short battery life, batteries which never hold a full charge, and
maybe even fires.

Greg