Old April 4th 12, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default Question for US Rules committee on AH capability within LX NAV computers?

On Apr 4, 3:06*pm, Max Kellermann wrote:
Evan Ludeman wrote:
It doesn't, of course. *FWIW I loaded 6.3 onto a Samsung Galaxy Player
last night (w SS gyros & accelerometers) so I could show the RC the
silly little toylike display that is causing so much brouhaha... and
it's still broken, doesn't display at all.

I never claimed that XCSoar's horizon in any version actually works or
is useful, did I?

The people who suggest that XCSoar will be banned should first do
their homework check if any version of XCSoar really violates the FAI
Sporting Code. *It's not a good idea to do this whole discussion based
on rumors. *That just produces large amounts of hot air. *On the other
hand, entities producing hot air can be very useful for our sport ;-)

Max

I have not yet seen a version of XCSoar that I would trust to fly
"without reference to ground", even in an emergency. In fact, I have
not yet seen a version of XCS that displays anything more than a
static picture of an AH display, and most of them don't even do that.
So again, I see no point to having this bit of code in there and
arousing suspicion. It's completely pointless.

FWIW, I'm flying XCS in competition, very shortly, at R5N. I don't
expect to have an argument about that. I'll use the "No Horizon"
version, though as I've said, it doesn't appear to make any functional
difference. If the CD or RC or any other contest personnel have
questions or concerns about XCS, I'll do my best to answer them
completely and honestly. (and it would be great to get that taken
care of ahead of time)

T8