Old July 12th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

Default OSH Sleeping

"Douglas Paterson" wrote

OSH First-Timer (hopefully!) here. Assuming I can get the plane out of
annual in time, I plan to make the trip!

I'm curious about lodging. I snagged a room at the Super 8 on the field.
Outrageous prices, of course, and I also wonder if I'm missing an
essential part of the experience by not camping.

Forget the hotel, if you want true total immersion in the experience.

You give up air conditioning, but it is not so bad without it, most nights
by midnight.

You have to deal with the community showers, but if you don't take them at
peak times, that is not so bad, either.

Air mattresses are great for bad backs. I've had two back surgeries, (both
largely unsuccessful) and I sleep on air mattresses year around at home.
They have better firm (but soft) support than any regular mattress I have
ever tried. For me, camping at OSH, I'm sleeping on my own bed! g

Really, there is something about sleeping on the grounds that you can't
beat. Try it at least one year, and if you don't like it, you can do
something else next year.
--
Jim in NC