Old April 19th 06, 11:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Piper Seneca

hi!

Thanks for your input.

As I stated, this is not a short term consideration, as I do not currently
hold an IR license, but will be getting one starting this summer.

My wife and I have been toying with the possibilities of getting a
vacational house in southern Europe, and I've been saying ok, but we'll need
a de-iced twin, and she agrees, so a lot of the job is done....

:-)

However, the Aztec idea is interesting.

What are the figures for this plane?

Thanks,

Frode

"Ronnie" skrev i melding
. com...
Frode,

I know you asked specifically about a Seneca and if you
want a Seneca, a Seneca you should get. However, in the
meantime, you might consider another Piper twin, the Aztec.

Older versions can be had for much less and would let you
fly a twin and accumulate multi-engine time before ultimately
getting the Seneca that you want. I admit I'm a bit biased
since I've been flying 1964 C model Aztec for the last 7 years.
There was a very, very nice Seneca III hangared in the same
hangar as my Aztec and it made me conside trading for a Seneca,
stricly on apperances. However, when I began comparing useful
loads, single engine rate of climb, and over-all performance versus
cost to aquire, I decided the Aztec fit my needs much better. At
first, the blub seating and left side, low entry door looked like a plus
for the Seneca that make getting passengers and big items in and out
easier
However, after taking a couple of trips the club seating turned out to
be problematic for my family with the kids bumping knees. In our case,
we like the forward facing seats and two large cargo areas fore and aft.
better.

Just food for thought.

Ronnie

"Frode Berg" wrote in message
hi all!

This might be a silly question, but I am dreaming of owning, or co-owning
a Piper Seneca.
Not this year or next, but maybe within the next 10 years.

I have been browsing the aircraft for sale sites, and found planes from
the 70's (Seneca II) selling for as low as $139K with about half time
remaining on the engines and props.

Anyone care to share the pro's and con's of the different models? (I-V)
Obviously, I will not be able to afford a V, so far, only the II's seem
accessible sort of.
Anything worth knowing about this model? Bad things?

Also, I understand maintenance will be about double of what I have now
(Arrow 180).
Any other traps to consider cost wise going for a twin?

Any other aircraft in the same price range that might be better choices?

I'm looking for a piston certified for Icing conditions.
I also want a twin, as I'll be flying over mountains and have nightmares
about engine out's in IMC and icing conditions over mountain terrain.....

Thanks for any hints,

Frode