Old June 26th 18, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Discus 2 Optimal CG location

Hi Dave,

good practice is to trim a standard class glider at a speed of 120-130kph with elevator in neutral position without water ballast. This keeps elevator deflection low in the relevant speed ranges. It usually results in a mid-range to slightly aft C/G position at your take-off weight.

Such a setup can easily be achieved with a few test flights and the help of a folding rule, adding ballast as required. You will need to stay within allowed C/G ranges, of course.

I'm flying an LS8, but what I heard from Discus 2 pilots at various competitions is in line with what RO said. The D2 has a reputation of rather poor handling with aft C/G locations.

Best regards,
Christoph