Old December 11th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
[email protected][_1_]

Default Lyc IO-540 won't make RPM.

On 11 Dec 2006 05:35:14 -0800, wrote:

The tech reps are suggesting that we send the engine back to Mattituck
(it's a factory remanufactured engine which has been "Mattitucked" with
about 100 hours on it), but I get the feeling that the tech reps and
mechanics are essentially in guessing mode.

snip

Are we talking to Lycoming tech reps? Perhaps they need to re-read
this:

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/supp...ns/SI1462A.pdf

My first thought is that you really need to verify the governor oil
path to the propeller via the governor pad/crankcase through a passage
in the front main bearing out the center of the crankshaft.

If there is a governed oil loss at the crank/main bearing the engine
will NOT turn up TO RPM.

A restriction/reduction in the engine oil pressure supplied to the
governor can have the same effect, but is not as common.

If either happens on the most common single-engine installation
(governor oil to increase pitch) you can't reduce prop RPM with the
prop control on TO, on a twin (governor oil to decrease pitch), you
can't make TO RPM.

Haven't tallked to anybody at Mattituck for years, what do they say??

Regards;

TC