Old August 28th 03, 08:44 AM
Vee-One

"Wally Samuelson" wrote in message
t...
Does anyone have a clue where the tradition of cutting off the shirt tail

of
a newly soloed student began? I believe it has its roots in the military

in
WW1.

While we are on the subject of tails, I recall that newly graduated 2nd

Lts
were called shave tails. Any suggestions on where this term originated?

This was related to me by my dad, a "ground-pounder" in the late 60's.

Shave-Tail refered to someone who was prior-enlisted and eventually recieved
a commision. Enlisted folks wore dress shirts without epaulets, officers
with (had to have someplace to attach the brass). The shirt-tail was cut
off, and the fabric used to create epaulets so an "E" transitioning to an
"O" didn't have to buy a whole new set of shirts.

Of course, in the current Air Force, all blue shirts have epaulets. Senior
NCO's have the option of wearing standard "stripes", or shoulder boards with
their rank.

MSgt (sel) Peter Vierps
116 AMXS