Old June 30th 08, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

Default Tom Knauff's newsletter

If you do not not like what Tom has to say in his news letter,
unsubscribe. He is
entitled to his opinion, but I believe that he his right.

Is this the first news letter that you have read from Tom Knauff?

In previous new letters, Tom said they he was giving the test to CFIGs
in the
Refresher Clinics and they were the ones failing his general questions
test.

Tom does provide training to the FAA. I read that he was doing some
special
training with them this year.

I believe that they are many pilots that after they get their license,
do very little
to further educated themselves to become a better pilot. The only time
most of
them fly with a CFIG is on their BFR.
During the past few months of taking my glider to other soaring
locations, I have talked
with some glider pilots that I would consider to be unsafe. They had
very little knowledge
of airspace requirements and were flying in class A without any
clearance. They did not
even know what to say to ATC to request a clearance. A few other basic
items.
Oxygen Requirements were not understood.
Reading the Section Chart to locate a busy airway.
Did not know how to give a position report to ATC...

I helped a man assemble his glider which is similar to mine and I know
that he
probably never even read through his OM. He was clueless to the
assembly procedures.

I am a CFIG and I am always asking a lot of general knowledge
questions and receiving
the wrong answers. I recommend many of Tom Knauff's and Bob Wander's
books.
There is one book that I highly recommend from Dale Masters, Soaring
beyond the Basics.

Randy