Old June 30th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DP

Default Tom Knauff's newsletter

On Jun 29, 9:32*pm, wrote:
Has anyone read this? What is your opinion? Tom Knauff certainly
doesn't provide any facts to support his conclusions. The following
statement in particular should anger each glider pilot, CFIG and
examiner: "The point of this is the demonstrable fact that most glider
pilots do not have the fundamental knowledge to fly safely. (Perhaps
with the exception of very controlled circumstances.)"

When I questioned him on this he simply offered the following:“Oh, by
the way, the test results demonstrate the point.”

Really? What tests? Where’s the empirical data? *Has he just perused
NTSB reports or is it firsthand knowledge? Does he speak of transition
pilots or “from scratch” students. Why does he only mention glider
pilots and not general aviation? What has he done to change the FAA
PTS?

I personally know two CFIG’s who have crashed with passengers on
board. One passenger died and the other passenger will never be the
same. One CFIG continues to fly and the other has withdrawn from the
glider community and, quite possibly, aviation altogether. Are they to
be included in Tom’s categorical statements? I think not.

It is not just glider pilots. It isn’t just the low time pilot.
Everyone makes mistakes. For Tom to make such broad statements just to
sell some books is reckless and doesn’t provide any real help to our
small community.

Is there a gap in training and real flying? You bet. So why isn’t he
tapping on the shoulder of every CFIG, DPE, and the FAA?

His offhand comments smack in the same style as John Scherer’s
commercials for the Video Professor; “Buy my product.”

Warren

The complete newsletter:
Several of you have asked for answers to the questions, and want more
questions.
At the end of most chapters of the first training manual, "Glider
Basics From First Flight To Solo," there are important end of chapter
questions.
Also, "The Bronze Badge Book" has nearly 300 important questions and
answers.
You can order these and other books from our web site listed below.
The point of this is the demonstrable fact that most glider pilots do
not have the fundamental knowledge to fly safely. (Perhaps with the
exception of very controlled circumstances.)
I recently had a person contact me about flight training. He explained
that he did not need any ground school because he was going to take
the FAA written test before arriving at our school. I expect him to go
elsewhere for his training.
Everyone gets a score on the FAA test in the high 90s because the
questions and answers are available to them. Unfortunately, the FAA
written test does not ask questions like, "Why does an aircraft have a
rudder?" *Or, "What color field is generally best for an off field
landing?" *Or, "At what altitude can you see cow's legs?"
Thomas Knauff
Knauff & Grove Soaring Supplies
Ridge Soaring Gliderport
3523 S Eagle Valley Rd
Julian, Pa 16844

Phone 814 355 2483

I think Tom should be commended for speaking out about this subject.
It's certainly not the first time he's raised these points. After
reading similar comments from him years ago I traveled to Ridge
Soaring to be trained by him and learned first hand some of the
deficiencies embedded in my knowlege, technique, judgment, and prior
training. I have continued to try and meet the high bar he set for me
during those lessons. I've also had the opportunity to fly at many
locations, both clubs and commercial, and have observed activities
that seem to be totally in line with what Tom says. It seems to be
quite a stretch to think that his comments are merely a marketing plan
for his books! As for the scientific basis of his comments or of any
studies related to glider safety, you don't need to be in the sport
very long to know that they are certainly directionaly correct....and
that we should all strive to be better, safer pilots.