Old July 7th 11, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_3_]

Default Ground Track Maneuvers?

On Jul 7, 5:06*am, Mike Rhodes wrote:
Ground Track Maneuvers?

Why do them?

There are no maneuvers in flying that resemble GTM other than GTM.

Are pilots being taught how to buzz their neighbor's house with
precision? *Or just building time?

Because of its importance there was much concern in this newbe the
first time I heard of a stall to crash (with the expected fatalites)
as the pilot was turning to final. *Why did he do that? *The pilot may
have used simple reflex actions of treating the airport as a GTM. *He
had been taught (or taught himself) to wrestle with the aircraft for a
precision track during GTM, and instinctively thinking accuracy on his
approach to landing. *Instead, stall speed, low altitude and
low-angled turns should've been his prime concerns.

I have a small aviation library, including David Frazier's "ABC'S of
Safe Flying" (1992). *I read it eagerly until getting to GMT and also
advanced maneuvers. *Interest was lost at that point, and could not be
regained on those points. *I simply do not want to do them, and see no
reason for them. *Cross-county flights to various airports through
various airspace makes better sense.

One maneuver may be appropriate, but there is too much concentration
on GMT in training. *Do any of you keep current?

I will complete the requirements for the certificate. *But GMT and
other such maneuvers will not be taken so seriously, possibly even
angrily. *That unless any instructor can prove their need. *Wind
correction (as suggested in the book) is not sufficient.
--
Michael

As a long time instructor and active safety adviser I would
respectfully suggest you do some serious soul searching with your
attitude if you expect to survive in the air environment.
Actually, what I'm reading here might be the fault of your instructor
for not preparing you properly and/or in not knowing you well enough
to have spotted this in you and corrected it IMMEDIATELY.
Ground reference maneuvers are taught to acclimate you as a pilot to
operating the aircraft in close proximity to the ground while your
attention is focused ON the ground. They as well acclimate you to this
arena in a wind environment that affects your aircraft, teaching you
to deal correctly with the issues involved.
It's not your ability to perform these ground reference maneuvers I'm
worried about. A pilot will eventually pass or fail any flight test
given based on their ability to demonstrate these maneuvers as
required. The system takes care of that. What the system doesn't take
care of is a pilot's general attitude toward flying. THAT is a matter
of individual responsibility.
It's in this area I see a problem for you if not corrected.
Anyway, my read on this.
Dudley Henriques