Old January 26th 11, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Mandating Radios? or Radar!

On 1/25/2011 7:43 PM, Jim Logajan wrote:
Eric wrote:
It'd be fun to explore the possibilities, but I'm not radar-savvy
enough to do it. All I can imagine is a lot of problems that make me
think it would be better to talk other pilots into getting PowerFlarm
and MRX units.

I think that radar in small aircraft is getting more viable; many of the
problems could be overcome. If ADS-B had not been mandated, I think that in
10 years private radar units could have been available with equivalent
capabilities and cost to ADS-B. Alas, government mandate will cause anyone
interested in radar to pay twice to solve essentially the same problem. A
pity, in my humble opinion.

I don't think air-borne radar would solve many of the problems the FAA
is interested in, of which collision avoidance is just one. I also
suspect a few hundred radars operating in a busy airspace might be a
problem, just like mode A/C transponders cause.

email me)