Old December 10th 05, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default MDW Overrun - SWA

In article et, Mike
Schumann wrote:

News reports say that the jet was landing with a tail wind. Anyone know how
much of a tailwind it was?

I think the report was that it was around 7-8 knots of tailwind.

Why were they landing with a tailwind?

Because the tower assigned it, and they accepted it. The longer answer
is that the other arrival interfered with O'Hare, and requesting it
guarantees you'll hold for at least 45 minutes, and probably end up
diverting because you don't have the fuel for that.

I know, hindsight, but this happens at airports all the time. It
happens to me in BOS pretty regularly, because they can pack more
traffic in one way than the other. My airline can land with up to 15
knots of tailwind, if our landing data show we're within weight limits
for it.