Old July 15th 18, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Ventus 3F - Fatal

Renny was a very thoughtful and careful pilot.Â* His hangar faced mine
and I was there when he brought his new V3 home.Â* Were it me, I would
have flown it that day, but Renny spent well over a week making sure
everything was just right before taking it up for the first time.

Previously he'd flown a LAK-17bFES for 8 or 9 years, so the added
complexity of the FES was probably not an issue.Â* Before that it was a
Discus, I believe; that was before I met him so I can't say for sure,
but I understand he'd flown gliders for around 40 years.

I don't believe his excitement about his new ship had anything to do
with his unfortunate accident.Â* And, though I have little faith in the
outcome of a formal investigation, I'll wait to see what they say before
making any judgments.

On 7/15/2018 4:22 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 9:45:06 PM UTC+2, Jock Proudfoot wrote:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/new-
mexico/articles/2018-07-11/albuquerque-man-dies-in-glider-crash-
near-moriarty-airport
He was so excited about his new V3.

There's a hint. Not saying this is the cause for this accident, but it's sad to see how many people in the past have gotten into trouble for being too confident flying a new aircraft they haven't yet fully figured out. I know all of you who have been around aircraft for any significant amount of time know what I am talking about. Last time I saw this happen was in Mass., where a new pilot from the UK had never flown an aircraft with flaps and got them wrong on final. He ended up in a tree at the far end of the runway, thankfully with nothing but a bruised ego, but we never saw him again.

--
Dan, 5J