Old January 13th 04, 07:21 PM
Michael

Steve P wrote
Can I get some opinions on using a throw over yoke for training?

Yes. You might even get some informed opinions from someone who has
done it.

I'm
more concerned with high performance endorsements than I am instrument
ratings, however I am curious about using practicality of using a throw
over yoke for practice approaches under the hood.

With a competent instructor, it's just not a problem. Flying the
airplane from the right seat with the yoke one the left (working the
yoke with the left hand) is not really a big deal. BTDT. I've given
instrument dual in actual IMC (including circling approaches to
minimums) in a Bo with a throwover yoke, and would not hesitate to do
so again. Any instrument instructor who isn't comfortable with that
shouldn't really be teaching in a Bo anyway.

I read 61.31 (f) to
say that a high performance endorsement requires "training". I also
read 91.109 to require dual controls except for instrument training
when "the safety pilot has determined that the flight can be conducted
safely." So am I right in concluding that a high performance
endorsement cannot be attained using bonanza with a throw over yoke?

Your reading of the rules is correct. The only time a throwover yoke
is acceptable is for instrument instruction in single engine
airplanes.

In reality, an exemption exists for Barons (which are twins) so I
would be surprised if there wasn't one for Bonanzas.

Michael