Old December 8th 03, 01:46 AM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

This sounds like bad news to me, it increases the risk that the rope may
foul the glider after release.

I recall that there was a fatality in New Zealand when the rope had a funnel
close to the end, to stabilise it; it also caused the rope to ride high.
The glider was a Slingsby Dart, and after release the rope wrapped round a
tailplane.

Also, in the U.K. there was a fatality to a Bocian flown solo when the rope
fouled the glider, I am not sure whether this was after release or due to a
bow in the rope.

Anything which might cause the rope to get close to the glider after release
should be avoided.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"John Galloway" wrote in
message ...

I have a vague recollection that a while back someone
mentioned in passing that their club used a little
drougue chute near the glider end of the aerotow rope
to fly the rings higher during approach and landing.
Does that ring any bells? If so I would appreciate
some information - or did I just imagine it?