Old August 23rd 16, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Transcontinental

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 1:22:10 PM UTC-4, Steve Koerner wrote:
My transcontinental race idea works like this:

Participants start at a particular Pacific shoreline location (which is not too far from a gliderport). Participants may use differing modes of transportation as they choose so long as none use electricity or a fuel for motive force. Possible modes include hiking, running, soaring, swimming, horseback, paddling, cycling, sailing, skateboarding etc. The first person to enter the Atlantic ocean wins.

Clearly glider flying can provide the most miles in a day as long as there is decent soaring weather. So this would be a soaring centric race yet would offer other modes that are fitness oriented. If the soaring weather isn't looking good a racer can press on or wait it out. If he lands at other than a gliderport, he'll have to use another self powered mode to get to a possible launching site.

All participants use a tracker at all times and are required to report frequently to a common website where everyone can know any participant's status. Every participant would have a crew with them with glider trailer and various other self powered vehicles.

A road bike and a dirt bike would be obvious essentials. Pure glider participants would probably want to also carry auto tow launch gear.

We'd have to think through this a little more. I'm sure there's more rules that would be needed.

Without electricity or a fuel for motive force, how are they going to launch?