Old August 4th 18, 09:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]

Default Kawa leading.....again.

'Professional' may not have been quite the right word but I couldn't think
of a better one. I mean somebody who does nothing other than fly in and
practice for top level competitions. Doing two seat training isn't the
same, not even at the level that Ingo Renner does.

It's the focus rather than the money that matters.

Chris

At 06:20 04 August 2018, wrote:
On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 6:06:53 PM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002
owner/pilot) wrote:
I would agree.

At this sorta level, the "nut behind the stick" is the determining

factor
IMHO.

Kawa is making less mistakes (oppsss...."fewer mistakes" to satisfy

some
grammar Nazis), in reality, with a comparable ship and instruments he can
use, he would likely be at the top or close to it.
Same for many other pilots.
Since he seems to avoid team flying, and also seems to not like some

newer rules and tracking/ground help for others, he seems to fit US rules
better.
Shudder to some in the US about US rules.

Some comes down to the type of flying required for the competition

site.
Those with eastern US flying may not do as well in the western US

mountains. The reverse is also true.

Professional glider contestant? No.
Talented amateur pilot that can afford to do a ton of flying and

contests? Yes.

To me, professional means the task generates an income. Kawa does well

and can afford the time and entry fees. I doubt he makes any money flying
or flying contests.
Yes, he has fun, yes, he gets to fly cool sailplanes that others own,

yes, he does well.

Not to offer disagreement, only a slightly different vantage point on the
definition of professional as it might apply to Soaring. Amateurs

practice
till they get it right, professionals practice till they can't get it
wrong.