Old August 13th 10, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek C

Default Wing Launch - Can it pull your wings off?

On Aug 13, 5:56*pm, Andy wrote:

What would be the consequence of using a link say 10% weaker than that
specified? *If I know the link is weaker I can fly a less agressive
climb profile and accept that I will get a lower launch altitude. *If
I forget and climb agressively the link will break - so what?

Andy

The consequence of using a 10% weaker link would be a greater chance
of a broken weak link and a failed launch, which might be hazardous in
itself under some circumstances. If you use the correct link as
specified by the glider designer and the glider is in airworthy
condition, there should be no chance of a structural failure. All
gliders in the UK have to have an annual inspection and airworthiness
review. The glider that failed was a 30 year old wooden design. It has
been suggested that the tapered main pin might not have been fully
engaged, but the glider had survived a previous winch launch. My
sincere condolences to the family and friends of this young lady
pilot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-10949058

Derek C