Old April 7th 04, 02:23 PM
devil

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 19:08:54 +0100, Marie Lewis wrote:

"devil" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 10:01:28 +0100, Marie Lewis wrote:

"devil" wrote in message
news On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 23:27:54 +0200, AJC wrote:

Patriotism can be a great force for good and bad. Throughout history
extremists on the left and the right have used it to their advantage.

Excitation of nationalist feelings is always bad. "Patriotism" is just

convenient word to make it sound otherwise.

No matter what, it's an "us vs. them" thing.

The Frenc have a word for it: chauvinism. That is what we are seeing in

the
USA now: "my leader right or wrong!"

That's not really what chauvinism is though.

Chauvinism is more like a grassroot feeling that "we" are the center of
the universe..

Chauvinism derives from one Nicolas Chauvin, a devoted admirer of Napoleon,
right or wrong.

Sure. Still, in everyday use, it's what I said above.