Old January 14th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Overhaul of 180HP Lycoming 0-360-A4M in a Skyhawk (C-172)

Andrew,
We opted to get a factory overhauled engine instead of sending our
engine in for overhauling. If you have the overhaul work done on your
old engine, there should be no reason for a core charge.
Shortly after we replaced our engine, Lycoming had a policy of not
refunding the core charge if the old core did not meet certain
standards. It was expected that customers who did not get a refund
were not very happy. Lycoming withdrew this bad policy sometimes last
year.

Hai Longworth