Old May 16th 05, 10:39 PM
M B

My $1.05 opinion...

The FAA won't even look at this as
a request, because it is too low down
the priority list.

If an accident occurs, they will look,
and will find that if the pilot was rated
for gliders and had the self-launch endorsement and
met all the
other tow endorsement and currency requirements, that
they won't do any
enforcement action. If required by the
insurer, someone at FAA will write it out,
sign it, and stick a stamp on it.

Whether this is good enough for an insurer...that is
an entirely
different matter. With insurers, the ask
permission vs. beg forgiveness STRONGLY favors the
ask permission idea, in my experience.

At 21:01 16 May 2005, T O D D P A T T I S T wrote:
'Andy' wrote:

So despite the various arguments I think it's going
to come down to
whether the FAA considers a glider to be a powered
aircraft.

I don't think I'd phrase it quite like that. I think
it
comes down to whether the FAA thinks the holder of
a glider
rating is someone who 'holds at least a private pilot
certificate with a category rating for powered aircraft'

(Note I
said glider, not motor glider, since the issued rating
is glider not
motor glider).

It is true that the issued rating is 'glider,' but
it's also
true that the FAA considers the term 'glider' to include
powered aircraft (also called 'powered gliders') and
non-powered aircraft.

AC No: 21.17-2A -'Powered gliders are considered to
be
powered aircraft for the purpose of complying with
91.205.'

The FAA defines a glider, and that definition allows
the
use of power, but not as the primary means of flight.
I could not find
an FAA definition of 'powered aircraft' although there
are definitions
of several subordinates, including powered parachutes.

I don't believe there is an FAA definition of 'powered
aircraft.' There are AC references that tell us powered
gliders are powered aircraft and have to comply with
all
FARs using the term 'powered aircraft.' There are
also AC
references stating that a motorglider or a powered
glider is
a 'glider.'

Anyway perhaps Greg K now has a feel for the sort of
argument/discussion he is likely to get into when he
seeks an official
interpretation.

Yep. I definitely agree with this.

As a practical matter has anyone seen a 337 for a tow
hook installation
on a motor glider, or a U.S. registered motor glider
with a tow hook
(on the aft end)?

Two more great questions. If Greg K does ask the FAA,
I'd
love to know the answer.

Mark J. Boyd