Old May 20th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bert Willing[_2_]

Default travel time to gliding site / club?

For about 10 years, I used to travel 350km (=3.5h, one way) from Western
Switzerland to Southern France to go soaring. Over the season 2003, that did
put 25'000km on the clock of my car. No, I didn't have to pay the gas...
Since 2 years, I reduced that to 30km (one way, which is less than I travel
to work). I still travel occasionally to Southern France, but now I tend to
spend more than the weekend over there.
One reason for the change is family, the other reason is that I want to see
another part of the Alps.

Is it insane to go 350km one way for gliding ? Well, others spend that time
in front of a TV set and nobody thinks that they are insane...

Have fun!
Bert

"Nigel Rotherham" wrote in message
Hi everyone :-) GR8 to have service 'back'!
Question for any / all interested: What is your travel time / distance
(round trip?) from home to gliding / soaring club - site? Not that will
make any difference to actual journey I need to take but knowing what
fellow enthusiast 'endure' to enjoy our fantastic sport / hobby will
probably make me feel 'much better' (s a factor in choosing which club
to join here in South Africa)! From my home (Benoni) must allow 4 hrs
(approx 350 Km) average for any of the 'local' clubs...
Thanks in advance. FLY SAFE! very best regards Nigel R