View Single Post
Old August 12th 12, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum
external usenet poster

Default cobra wheel bearings and brakes

On Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:33:29 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I know this has come up in the past, but i'm having trouble finding the previous posts.

I recently bought a Carat in a 2005 Cobra trailer and had it hauled from the west coast to here in Georgia on a flat bed. When i started pulling the trailer, the hubs started getting hot within 12 miles, the right side more than the left. The brake assembly housing got, if anything, hotter than the hub. I assume the grease has dried out of the sealed wheel bearings. I jacked the trailer up and the wheels turn freely without wobble, but make a rubbing sound. Also the brakes squeal when braking. I tried to determine whether the brake drums might be dragging, The cables seem to fully release when the brake lever releases (though i don't know how to check if a brake return spring has failed).

Hi Key,

I have the info you need, but not with me. I'll be home from Uvalde in about week and a half.
There are two kinds--a 4-Bolt hub, and a 5 bolt hub.

If you are in a hurry, You can remove the drum and take it to an automotive machine shop. They can press out the bearing, and from it, can cross reference the replacement. They are about $45-$50.
You may need new brake linings-a kit from Cobra includes the return springs.. If the brakes overheated, it would cook the grease out of the bearing, and anneal the springs.

Good luck---email me directly in about a week, and I'll send info when I get home.

What's the best source of wheel bearings (and brake parts if needed)? Any suggestions for further diagnosis?

thanks,

Key