Old February 13th 13, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

Default FAA Notice N8900.204 - English Proficiency

Yes, but all CFIs get caught up with the FAA Notice to do the FAA's job for them.

So sure, I'll sign an 8710 recommending a check ride, and warn the FAA or DPE that this guy may have problems understanding your instructions during a check ride. So why would i sign an 8710 with a known failure as the result?

This goes back to the TSA instruction for CFIs to be able to determine that birth certificates or other US identification is not a forgery and we are teaching US citizens and not foreigners.