Old October 14th 03, 10:01 PM
Wayne

The way I heard it, they will only attempt to fly it if the conditions
are just right. Enough wind, but not too much etc... The likelyhood of that
happening on the exact day is a gamble. I won't be suprised if they don't
even make the attempt.

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

"Trent Moorehead" wrote in message
I just heard that the Ohio group that has built a Wright Flyer replica

and
took it down to Kitty Hawk couldn't get it to fly. I understand this to

be
practice flights for the December 17th celebration.

I'm curious as to why they didn't try it out in Ohio first. Also, is

this
the official Flyer for the celebration? Coming from Ohio, I would think

that
it is. It would be sad if there wasn't a flying (official) replica for

the
celebration, though there is still time for them to work it out.

Harry (Burns) aren't you taking your Flyer down?

-Trent
PP-ASEL

A few things, primarily building on the fact that the flyer's abiltiy to

fly
was extremely marginal...

1) What was the density altitude of the first flight, and what was it on
the replica's attempt?
2) How accurate is the replica? Could it be heavier or maybe the engine

or
props are not quite as efficient?
3) The Flyer also failed to fly on its first attempt, resulting in some
damage. On the 17th they had it repaired AND they had more wind. It flew
that day. How much wind did they have for the replica's flight?

In this recreation, a few percentage points of performance means

everything.
There are probably a hundred minor issues which could result in the

replica
not flying.

KB