Old June 22nd 04, 07:21 PM
George Shirley

Richard Brooks wrote:

Paul Housley wrote:

Perhaps a bit of a random question for this newsgroup.

A while ago, I saw video footage of a bomb being released from a
fighter-bomber under test conditions. It was on an aviation
documentary. The high speed camera then shows it climb up and destroy
the tailplane. I don't think they quite got their trajectory calcs
right!

Has anyone seen this video? Does anyone know where I could get a
copy. Stills from it would be fine. It's for a uni project in case
you were wondering.

This shows up towards the end of a documentary called Dambusters,
which has been seen on UKs Channel 4. I think I have a copy of it.
It also shows that the Germans were experimenting with much the same
thing.

I shall have a look and see what I can do for you.

Further to searching I find I've only got the BBC2 documentary which does
not go as in-depth but found this on a Web site.

" An American variant of Highball, codenamed Baseball, was also tested but
during one of the tests, the bomb rebounded and hit the dropping aircraft
causing it to crash, and the tests were stopped.
"
The URL;

http://www.computing.dundee.ac.uk/staff/irmurray/bigbounc.asp

I've put a call out in uk.media.tv.misc to see if anyone there has a copy
and will let you know.

Richard.

"Dambusters" was on US Discovery Wings channel again last night. IIRC

that story was told and they had a graphic but no picture. Again, aging
memories, even overnight are not always correct. VBG

George