Old September 9th 18, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Electric Winch Project

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 8:13:44 PM UTC-6, Charlie Quebec wrote:
It is much easier to measure and control the line tension with an electric motor, eliminating the rocket launch a single seater can get when the winch driver has been
launching the training two seater all day. On my first flight in a Hornet on the winch, the acceleration was so great I could not prevent the glider from rotating immediately
with full forward stick, 5 terrifying seconds....

Charlie, I just added a PDF "Project Overview" document to the web page which goes to some length explaining the control system. As in the OP, the page can be seen at www.hdelectriclaunch.com