Old October 19th 05, 08:20 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

Default $340 Million Powerball

Stubby writes:

RST Engineering wrote:
5 numbers -- 12 17 03 (Wright's first flight) 07 06 (Next Oshkosh)
Powerball -- ?? (Jay, help me here) (Number of rooms in Jay's hotel.)
Then again, people who bet on the lottery are the C students in my
Probability and Statistics class {;-)

Can any of your students expound on the difference between having zero
lottery tickets and having one?

I've suspected for years that the odds of being mailed the big check
by mistake were about the same as the odds of winning. :-)

But on closer examination I'm forced to conclude it's just not true;
there have been *lots* of winners since Powerball started, but I don't
know of a single instance of anybody being mailed the check by mistake
(at least who got to *keep* it). Oh well.