Old January 16th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default Hudson River Opportunity

Martin,
Martin,

Two observations regarding your post:

1. No ice in the river. Cold as all get out (air temp 20F), but no
ice.

2. Slats and flaps were deployed. Pictures in the NY Times this
morning showed the plane tied up at a NYC pier with the slaps and
flaps still out on the left wing.

"Sully" did a fantastic job ditching, but to me the real wonder was
the boats pulling everyone out so quickly. With such cold air, a swift
current, and some people immersed in the river after falling off the
wings, it's amazing no one was lost. If "Sully" landed where he did to
be near boats, he deserves all the thanks we can give him!

-John

Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:00:08 -0800, ablackburn6 wrote:
Another point: I spent the winter of 76/77 in NYC and remember ice on the
Hudson. None of the pictures I've seen show ice round the ditching site,
but what's the ice situation up-river where he'd have sat down if he'd
turned right?

Can't argue with that, particularly if, as reported, he had no flaps!