Old October 15th 20, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Looking for 1-26E with trailer and some thoughts

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 07:55:51 -0700, ken smith wrote:

Thanks for all the useful feedback. I have heard that the L33 has a
weak tail boom and is prone to damage and the Std Cirrus wants to spin.
Would apprecaite more info on these if you have experience wth them.

Don't discount Libelles - either 201 or 301. My 201 (Std Libelle) is the
least willing to spin of any single seat glider I've flown. Light and
easy to rig and, if you put foam or felt pads on the underside of the
canopy frame at the rear, you can slide the canopy back along the
fuselage (I've not done this, but have seen pictures...).

Disadvantages? Notably weak airbrakes, long but narrow cockpit, so those
with wide shoulders may not fit in them.

More handling etc info he
https://www.gregorie.org/gliding/lib...201_notes.html

Others may chip in about the 301 Open Libelle - I've never even seen one,
let alone flown it.

If you see a 205 Club Libelle at a nice price, go and look at it too.
Reasonable performance despite a fixed undercarriage. Roomy cockpit,
powerful airbrakes, hinged canopy. There's one at my club: its owners
like it a lot.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org