Old September 16th 10, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default Question About Mid-Air Collisions

jason219 wrote:

Hello everyone.

Hello! Welcome to this happy place.

I'm preparing a mock press conference for one of my
college classes. In my particular scenario, I am the public relations
head of a top international airliner.

Don't forget to name it "Trans American Airlines".

Three hours into the flight, one of our planes was involved in a mid-air
collision (whether it was with another aircraft or another object, I am
not sure). The plane is still airborne but is only able to fly higher
and to the right. All attempts to make a left turn or decrease altitude
have failed.

When a mock reporter asks what is being done, answer with this:

"We're routing him into Lake Michigan, at least we'll avoid killing
innocent people!"

I need some expert knowledge

You came to the right place!

on what would happen in this situation.
Judging by the damage, is it possible to land the plane safely?

No - they're all already dead and just don't know it.

Is an emergency landing feasible?

No - as you said, all attempts to decrease altitude have failed. They're
stuck up there forever.

If so, what would the steps necessary be to
execute it and how long (roughly) would that take?

"Execute" is an insensitive word to use in such a grave scenario.

Death is normally permanent and of infinite duration, so it would take at
least a week.

Thank you for your help!

You're welcome! Shirley you'll do well when your mock conference is graded.
Don't forget to serve some mock turtle soup afterword.