Old September 16th 10, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ari Silverstein

Default Question About Mid-Air Collisions

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 01:59:15 -0000, wrote:

Mark wrote:
On Sep 15, 2:46*pm, jason219
wrote:
Hello everyone. *I'm preparing a mock press conference for one of my
college classes. In my particular scenario, I am the public relations
head of a top international airliner.

Three hours into the flight, one of our planes was involved in a mid-air
collision (whether it was with another aircraft or another object, I am
not sure). The plane is still airborne but is only able to fly higher
and to the right. All attempts to make a left turn or decrease altitude
have failed.

I need some expert knowledge on what would happen in this situation.
Judging by the damage, is it possible to land the plane safely? *Is an
emergency landing feasible? If so, what would the steps necessary be to
execute it and how long (roughly) would that take?

Thank you for your help!

--
jason219

Although the airfoil surfaces are stuck in a
position to induce lift, the plane would be induced to decrease
elevation by throttle reduction or fuel mixture. If you can only
turn left you won't make it.

Airliners don't have mixture controls.

*lol*
--