Old March 18th 18, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

Default Flarm collision alert from Tow Plane ADS-B

Reading that accident report from Crazycreek soaring made me sad. A radio in the towplane should have easily prevented that accident. So simple and inexpensive too. When I flew at another major gliderport in southern California a few years ago I was really surprised when they told me don't do a radio check, the tug doesn't have a radio. That seemed so archaic to me. Why not? A simple radio call can sort out alot of small problems that can blossom into major problems.
Do any gliderports still operate without radios in the towplanes?