Old August 14th 18, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Cobra trailer brake heating up

At 18:44 13 August 2018, wrote:
Bumping this thread to see what Eric found last year.

My Cobra brake jammed on after a hard stop on the way home

from Midlothian
=
last week. Couldn't free it up so disconnected the brake cables at

the
cent=
er brake rod. That freed up the wheels immediately so I drove

home. Seemed
=
to stay jammed until I came up the steep driveway. Now it's free,

with no
i=
ndication what might have been wrong. The inner sliding tube and

bushings
w=
ere lubed and moved freely. The brakes and cables were fine; the

wheels
tur=
ned freely after I disconnected the cables even though the tongue

was
still=
jammed in the collapsed position.

One odd thing: the lever that comes out of the lower part of the

tongue
tha=
t pulls the brake rod couldn't be tapped loose. No surprise since

the
inner=
tube was fully collapsed and thus actuating this lever. But on the

way
hom=
e, I stopped again: tongue was still collapsed but this time when I

tapped
=
the lever, it came loose and moved freely. I'm just getting into it

now to
=
see what might be amiss but has anyone had this problem?

Chip Bearden

JB,

A long time ago, I had a similar problem with the tongue staying
collapsed. It turned out that there was a gas strut inside the tongue
that had failed. Once the gas strut was replaced, all was OK again..
FWIW...

RO