Old November 7th 03, 08:57 AM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:17:47 -0500, "JimC"
wrote:

I have been thinking about the drive to the airport lately and how nice it
would be to live a little closer. I have a brother that is also a pilot and
he lives about 4 miles from his plane. Mine is more like 25 road miles away
and requires a half hour drive. That really makes a difference when you
are working on the plane and remember you left something at home that is
needed for the current job.

This got me curious about the situation that others have. So, how about it?
How far do you live from your plane and how long do you typically spend
driving to get there?

Well..distance to the airport is 10 miles and that does prevent me
from getting a lot done with the Deb. It even keeps me from flying
about 50% of the time when I might just go out for a little while.
I did get in 45 minutes today though. I was going to finish up
dismantling the Barracuda, but that hanger was locked and I didn't
have a key..so what the heck. I went out and played for a while.

(Actually I'm only a bit less than 5 miles from the airport, but you
can't get there from here.)
OTOH, my airplane project is in my shop about 30 feet north of my
garage. Now that is handy. I have my secondary ham station out there
as well. All I need now is a nice comfortable chair, a couch,
refrigerator, and TV. I already have the stereo and spend time
rebuilding antique ham radio equipment. Oh, yah. I have the big 10"
telescope out there and to use it I only need slide the big tripod out
the door. I do need to make up some sort of transport mechanism and
have yet to get the one neighbor to turn off the outside lights. All
the other neighbors only need a phone call and it gets dark. It
wouldn't be so bad, but he has the unshielded light right on the front
of a light colored building that points it right at my back yard. It
casts shadows on the bedroom wall.

I finally got the big Hartzell hung on the wall, discovered there is
still a floor in there and have cleaned up enough that I can again get
organized and I'm at a point where I really need to be organized. I
even put in conduit for the coax cables.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/boatanch.htm shows the stuff in the shop
in the bottom three photos with the old guy who spends a lot of time
out there in the bottom photo. It's a pretty big page with the photos
near the bottom.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

JimC