Old October 22nd 04, 01:43 AM
Thomas Schoene

José Herculano wrote:
I've just finished reading the following book about the F-14 in
Iranian hands:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It is a well written account which is claimed to be based upon
extensive research and talks with Iranian, and some Iraqi, aircrew.

[snip]

Tom Cooper has been a pretty regular poster here; he may well be along to
defend his statistics.

So what do you think? Are the politicos (in and out of uniform)
giving the Buffalo the thumbs down for reasons other than
performance?

AFAIK, no one within the Navy has ever claimed that the F-14 is being
retired due to inferior performance. The decision has always been framed as
being driven by cost, reliability, and maintainability issues.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872