Old August 17th 04, 06:00 PM
Michael Stringfellow

I bought a production 19 m SZD 38 in South Africa around 1981 and registered
it there as ZS-GOJ. I think it was the only one of its kind in South
Africa, having been imported there by the original owner from Britain.

Last I heard, it was still flying there. Maybe a current South African
glider pilot can confirm this.

I've also seen a couple for sale here in the USA, so I guess there must have
been at least a small production run before they switched to the 20.5 m
version.

Incidentally, I enjoyed flying it and found its performance pretty good.
The only drawback was the single-piece wing panels, which required a lot of
helpers or mechanical assistance to rig.

Mike

ASW 20 WA

"Mal Williams" wrote in message
Thanks for the link to the PZL site. While all the experts are interested,
does anyone know how many SZD-38 gliders were manufactured? I have one of
the prototypes that was brought out to Australia in 1974, but have never
been able to find out for sure if it went into production or if they went
straight to the 20.5 metre Jantar 2B.

"G.Kurek" wrote in message
om...
Although SZD had many sailplanes that where produced for purpose of
experiment or to accomplish/reach some target (which they never failed
not to); there never was a 2 place Jantar maybe someone was referring
to SZD-40 Halny which had a somewhat similar Jantar look, was built in
1972 and L/D of 43. There was only ONE built, so I don't know how
would it find its way to US. Here is a pic. -
http://www.piotrp.de/SZYBOWCE/pszd40.htm

And here are all the gliders built by SZD, before WWII and after:

http://www.piotrp.de/SZYBOWCE/pszd.htm