Old January 12th 11, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Daryl Hunt[_2_]

Default China's stealth jet -J-20

On 1/12/2011 12:24 PM, Malcolm wrote:
In
s.com, Jim writes
On Jan 12, 8:31 am, wrote:
Not sure how true it is BUT I live about a mile from Filton and in an
area where there were a lot of people who worked on the project. When
new neighbours moved in next door about ten years ago they started
stripping wallpaper and found a thin wire similar to a radio aerial
running round the picture rail of a back bedroom........... One of the
previous owners was an aircraft engineer.
--
Malcolm

That sounds like an old shortwave antenna, not one for VHF or UHF
aircraft or military bands.
http://www.hamuniverse.com/shortwaveantenna.html

jsw

You are probably right.

I have an update anyway - spoke to my neighbour about an hour ago and
mentioned this thread. He told me that after a visit from some security
people they said they thought likely that it dated from WWII. The BAC
works at Filton were of course involved in producing the Bristol
Blenheim and Bristol Beaufighters as well as repairing damaged aircraft
so it is quite possible that the aerial was something to do with
espionage then. Who knows.

The germans got ours before and during the war and we got thiers
after the war. Evens out.