Old March 3rd 18, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Stress/Anxiety Driven Accidents

Marty Eiler,

Thank you for a thought provoking article. I know some students exhibit more stress than others but I hadn't thought about how it brings on "tunnel vision". This insight now lets me understand why some students have trouble seeing the bigger picture of what is happening during the landing process or other maneuver.

During the debrief, I will now ask "What were you seeing when _______."

During a debrief, I've been telling students what to correct based on what I was seeing. The better approach is to understand what they were seeing and why they took a particular action. If "tunnel vision" is a factor, a different teaching approach is required.

Thoughtfully,
Chuck Zabinski