Old November 3rd 04, 02:49 AM
Thomas Schoene

Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal wrote:
On 11/2/04 6:49 PM, in article
, "Thomas Schoene"
wrote:

Which does raise the question ogf what might have happened to Tomcat
availability, etc, if it had been redeisgned from the ground up in
the early 1990s like the Super Hornet. (Actually, unlike the
Hornet, the base structural design could probably have been
retained, even if a wing and inlet redesign was desirable.)

I'm sure it would still have been more maintenance-intensive than
the SH (bigger engines, second seat, etc.). But it seems to me that
switching the electronics over to LRUs, going to modern flight
controls, and installing new-technology engines would have done
wonders for servicability rates and maintenance costs.

Tom,

The Super Hornet issn't as much of a ground-up redesign as it is an
improvement on the old model. It's amazing how similar the two jets
are.

Electronics wise, I know this is the case. Airframe-wise, it's bigger in
all dimensions and signiicantly reshaped; there can't be that much parts
commonality. I know all the skin panels are different, thanks to RCS issues,
and the fuselage structure has to be different, since the engines are
larger. Does it have *any* common non-electronic parts aft of the cockpit
(aside from perhaps the hook and various ejector racks and dispensers)?

From a maintenance standpoint the Tomcat would have to make some MAJOR
changes to keep up with the Hornet WRT MMH/FH. e.g. Engine
changes... it's WAY easier to do on a Hornet because it was DESIGNED
to be easier. That'd be tough to design in on a Tomcat.

Well sure. I'm just wondering how much better than the original Tomcat you
could get. I'm betting there was lots of room for improvement.

For example, what makes the Hornet's engine changes easier? I vaguely
recall that the Hornet's engine comes out through the bottom of the
aircraft, while the Tomcat's has to come out the back. I can see the clear
space advantage of being able to do the work in the plane's shadow on the
hangar deck, but I have to wonder if the Tomcat could be made to do the same
thing.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872