Old November 3rd 04, 03:42 AM
Dave in San diego

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in
link.net:

snippage

For example, what makes the Hornet's engine changes easier? I
vaguely recall that the Hornet's engine comes out through the bottom
of the aircraft, while the Tomcat's has to come out the back. I can
see the clear space advantage of being able to do the work in the
plane's shadow on the hangar deck, but I have to wonder if the Tomcat
could be made to do the same thing.

There are two factors involved in the difference in engine changes. The
first is the amount of support equipment involved - less for the F-18.
The second is the amount of airframe disassembly involved - again less
for the F-18.