Old February 9th 16, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m

Default Newest Sailplane in the world on display at the 2016 SSA convention

On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 9:47:36 AM UTC-7, smfidler wrote:
I'm starting to feel as if I'm at some boy band concert watching the girls screaming uncontrollably at the lead singer from the front row...

Just like the JS-1 camp learned, out designing the ASG-29 in all conditions and at all wing loadings is a very, very high bar to jump over cleanly.

Here is a towel.

Stop drooling all over yourselves and let's see if the V3 wins the 18 meter World Championship in Australia next January before loosing consciousness, screaming like school girls the latest, greatest boy band concert...

The V3 'might' just win the Worlds on its first go and even become a truly dominant 18m glider, but until it does, it's marketing hype. They will employ a surge of top pilots (disproportional distribution) trying to win their first worlds (see Quintus) and seal in the marketing investment. JS-1 tried this too but never made it over that pesky "ASG-29 bar." Pilots often trump a gliders true performance. Keep an eye on this.

Many, quite recently in fact, thought the JS-1 would dominate the ASG-29....but it has not. Only very recently, with the new EVO design, has the JS-1 begin to challenge the 29. And the JS1 has never won a FAI world championship against the enviable ASG29. Not once (well, if you count the last SGP World Championship,yes, but there was a valid wing loading fairness controversy at that smaller event)!

And, even if the V3 does prove a match or better, Schleicher will simply draw up a new 18 meter glider specifically intended to make the V3 obsolete, and so on... Maybe Schleicher is already well down the track on this new design already... Maybe they can simply improve the 29 with a new wing design like the JS-1 camp has with the new JS-1 Evo.

One thing is certain, the glider manufactures have you all right where they want you...buzzing wildly over almost nothing, fighting to hand over 200k checks in order to own (years from now) an unproven glider which many somehow absolutely (almost religiously) believe is sure to allow them to beat the pants off anyone flying the ASG-29 via its massive performance advantages. Good luck with this gentleman. I for one have seen this cycle many times before in many sports.

And, if the V3 is somehow completely unstoppable in 18 meter (as you suggest), we already have so many ASG29s in the USA that we could "put our hands up" and start a "29 ONLY class" (much less expensive than buying (and waiting for) a new V3 and all with identical performance while being well proven machines!). One design 18 meter the racing! ;-). It will be 5 years, minimum, before the V3 US numbers approach a third of the 29s. And that 1/3 number is only in a perfect world for Shempp Hirth, with no hiccups or issues with the design. You V3 "bling, bling" glider guys (if it's ridiculously better) might just have to fly in open class again the Concordia! :-)

So, I'm excited to see the V3 at the convention (and the buzz surrounding it) but won't be interested until it clearly proves that it is a significantly better (or even equal) sailplane to the ASG29 and the JS1 Evo in a wide range of conditions. Until it proves its worth with contest results. And even then, rather than jumping at it immediately, I'll be looking to see the reaction from the other manufacturers.

Amused and thoroughly enjoying the "screams and shouts of glee" from the SH fan boys...

Sean

Sean,
I think we are all a little upset since Zane left One Direction but lets get a hold of ourselves. You are talking a bunch of straw man silliness. I didn't know "Everyone" thought the JS would dominate and you have to admit it has produced some good results at the World level. It also has the ability to fly at 21M. Perhaps SH just realized that with a Decades old planform and wing and fuse profile it was time for an update. And "Technically" the GP14 is just a shiny mock up and until it flys and proves the numbers and enters serial production I'll rely on an 80 YO company. I am a Lifelong Schleicher Man myself, (K21,20,and 27) but I will try the V3 on for size at the convention and am considering buying a slot. I promise not to jump up and down with glee.