Old February 10th 16, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smfidler

Default Newest Sailplane in the world on display at the 2016 SSA convention

Not cold water. Just a cool breeze of clam and patience.

I think the nemerous deposits and absolute belief in the performance predictions (every new glider makes them) is quitepremature. I think the V3 is going to run well, but will it climb in weak lift? Will it be able to carry water early in the day? Will it handle? Have they made their compromises properly and was their data analysis of 18 meter contest behavior (speeds, running, climbing percentages) accurate?

All the little things make a glider truly great (see 29). The Arcus is good, but really has had not true performance competition until last year with the 32. Unlike the Arcus which was entering a new class (flapped 20m 2 place), the V3 is entering the worlds most competitive class. The 29 is enormously strong and the JS-1 has been significantly improved (although very good from the early stages). The V3 really has to be Newley perfect to be demonstrably better than those gliders in all conditions. Is it a "me too" or is it truly innovative as they contend.

The V3 might, for example, end up being great in strong conditions and weak in others. I also question if they will build them light enough. I also worry about the cockpit size.

We shall see. I hope it's great. But yes, not too great. I would love to not have to buy a new glider to be competitive. The current 18 meter balance is actually really great between the 29, JS1 and V2. A new, unbeatable 18 meter glider could hurt the class more than it helps it, initially. I'm all for supporting the builders. But many will probably not want to buy a new glider just to be somewhat competitive in a class.

If the V3 end up being a requirement to play in 18m, yes, I'll buy one...if Scheicher des not rapidly respond. Lots of if's....

And yes, the V3 wing is very pretty. But I would buy an ugly wing if it was better! I still like th 29 right now. The 29 fuselage shape is beautiful, and it's cockpit is incredibly comfortable and functional. It's resilient, easy to fly and really strong at high wing loading. If the V3 is only equal, I would likely keep the 29 for some time.