Old November 27th 03, 04:26 AM
A Lieberman

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

I'm currently engaged in a statistical analysis of accidents, and have read
about 600 reports in the last several weeks. You still see the main fault
being assigned to the pilot when the accident was precipitated by a
mechanical fault. The vast majority of those cases involve engine failure
(in fact, I don't recall seeing cases that *didn't*).

Talking from experience, an engine failure doesn't mean accident.

I would have to say, it depends WHEN the engine fails as to whether it
be pilot fault / error or mechanical. In my opinion, in most cases,
engine failure accidents should be attributed to pilot error if THEY
FAILED TO FLY THE PLANE during the crisis.

Mine happened at 3,500 feet 15 miles from the uncontrolled airport, and
I didn't even make "the news" even with me declaring an emergency on
121.5.

Now, had the engine failed at 10 or 15 feet above the runway on my take
off at my destination airport, I probably would make front page news,
and doubt that it be attributed to pilot error (providing I followed the
preflight checklist or do something stupid like not adhere to weight and
balance or density altitude considerations) , since 50 to 60 foot trees
are at the end of the runway. Runway is 2999 foot long.

So, when you study the accident reports, I would be interested at what
phase of the flight did the engine fail. Was it on take off, climb out,
level flight, descent or landing phases?
For take off, and climb out, you really don't get much opportunity to
select an alternate emergency landing spot especially at an airport you
never have been to.

Successful landings generally don't even make an incident as in my
case. I was expecting "call the tower" routine after landing. I only
had to call Flight Services to let them know I was on the ground safely,
and have them report back to New Orleans Approach that I was OK.

Successful off field landings are "incidents". I hope you include those
in your study.

For level flight, descent and landing, you do get more opportunity to
select a landing spot.

So, in a nutshell, with the proper training, an engine failure can be a
non event providing you have the ample time to make appropriate
decisions. 10 feet above the ground on climb out and the fan quits,
sure is not ample time to make a quick decision to land. You fly
straight and land on what ever is in front of you. 3,500 feet, you have
ample time to make a successful landing (unless you are over some G-d
aweful mountain terrain or ocean waters).

I really attribute my outcome to the quality training I received from my
instructor. Every lesson I had from hour three to my checkride, he gave
me a what if scenario for emergencies. The most important thing I
remember the most is "FLY THE AIRPLANE" during my own "crisis".

Just my 3 pennies for what it is worth.

Allen
(who lives in the flatlands of the deep south)