Old April 9th 04, 03:20 PM
Gilles_Sauvagnat

Hello Jim

Thanks for your input.
I have to tell I already looked at the association Pocket PC/Winpilot, I
understand the possibilities are huge so is the budget!

Hence the gpsmap 76s choice. As for my daily use I have a Palmpilot I will
probably go for soaringpilot, very nice piece of software well designed and
constantly updated and free!
But right know as I am definitely not an expert glider pilot, I just want an
easy device to use to help me in my navigation, I still think the gpsmap 76s
is a good choice. I am just looking for some improvements.
Regards
Gilles

"Jim Kelly" a écrit dans le
message de ...
Hi Gilles,

I used a 76s for a while, a very nice handheld unit . . but I've
moved on to using an HP iPaq H5550 Pocket-PC with WinPilot. If
you're inclined towards computing, this will give you much more
satisfaction. You can still use the 76s as a GPS source, or sell it
and buy a 'mouse' gps with battery backup. The Garmin has lots of
user fields that are fun to play with for awhile, but it really is
very rigid in it's design. A great general purpose device for
someone shy of computers. Best thing about having a Pocket-PC is the
remarkable uses they offer every single day!

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

"Gilles_Sauvagnat" wrote in message
Hi,
I'am not quite sure this is the right forum to post my question, let
me try
(I also found some specific gps forums)

I just bought a garmin gpsmap 76s mainly for use in a glider (hence
the post
in the current forum)

I wonder if someone has some experience with such device for two
points.

First point: I bought it because it has interesting feature such as
glide
ratio and glide ratio to target. The latter is perfect, but I found
the
glide ratio function difficult to use or at least difficult to take
advantage of. The calculation seems to be done on instant value
without any
"smoothing", as a glider moves a lot the result can vary from very
low value
to glide ratio higher than 500!! within a couple of seconds. Have
you
experienced such behavior? Is this a user error? A bug?

Second point: to draw airspace zone it seems possible to use
waypoints and
routes. Do you know other possibilities? Using a mapsource format
compatible
for instance

Thanks in advance for your answers
Gilles