Old June 27th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Aero Commander 100 Darter

On Jun 26, 5:13 pm, Lou wrote:
On Jun 26, 3:28 pm, "JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote:

Lou wrote:
Can anyone tell me why I keep seeing these planes
selling for what seems like a great price? Every once
in a while someone advertises this brand and model,
but different planes for the same price as most Cessna
150's. Why? What is the problem with these planes?

Mike and Dan hit the nail on the head. Orphaned airplanes can be risky to
own because of parts availability. The Commander Lark and Darter are
particularly bad in this respect because they were made in very small numbers
for only a few years.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Thanks guys, that would explain the price tags. Kinda
like buying an old International Harvester SUV.
Lou

Hey! I own a 1951 International L110 pickup. There are guys here
in Alberta looking for IHC Scouts and so on, and they seem to be
getting more popular. That little Scout had a four-banger that had
been developed from half of the 305 V8 they used in a lot of their
trucks, and would just about climb trees.
But your point is valid. I'll need to replace the windshield
soon, and it won't be cheap. I wish it was a few years older when the
windshields were two-piece flat affairs that some glass shops can cut
from raw laminated sheet. This one is curved. I got around the engine
parts problem by making a few major mods and putting a Ford 300 inline
six in it, along with a Ford 3-speed transmission.

Dan