Old August 19th 05, 04:54 AM
Kevin Dunlevy

My CFI was young enough to date my daughter, but I would not have approved a
marriage.

Your obvious concern #2 would be my biggest concern. Seasoned pilots will
be able to tell you more about the control, sounds and feel of the airplane,
weather, flying and life in general because of their seasoning.

My CFII is also young enough to date my daughter, but I would approve the
marriage because he is very intelligent. He may not have the experience of
a high hours pilot, but I respect his brains and am happy to have him as a
CFII.

I guess the ideal combination would be an instructor with lots of brains and
experience.

Kevin Dunlevy

"Mediacom" wrote in message
Well, after lingering in these groups for a while and dreaming about the

day
I could start flight lessons I think that day is finally here. I made a
trip out to the local FBO to figure out what exactly the next step is and
more specifically how I go about choosing a flight instructor. It turns

out
that the experienced instructors all have pretty full schedules mainly
because of charter flights. There is at least one experienced CFI that
might have some openings. The manager of the FBO recommended that I talk

a new CFI at the FBO. He is brand new. He just got his CFI a few months
ago and he is not instrument rated. I guess I am looking for any advice

on
starting lessons with a "baby" CFI. Obvious concerns are 1. That he will

be
hesitant to put his students up for a check ride because he will not want
them to fail. 2. I might miss out on the wisdom of a more experienced
pilot. 3. His lack of an instrument rating will make me miss out on some
wisdom in that area as well. Obviously I know that CFIs have to start

with
a blank slate and I am not necessarily opposed to taking up lessons with
him. I'm just interested in any feedback.

Thanks!

Jeremy